Thursday 18 April 2019

Cruising Carnival Horizon with Nut Allergy

Day 1 - Started out from Peterborough ON,at around 3 am to go to Pearson Airport in Toronto for our 7:30 am flight on Sunwing to Miami. So after waiting forever at the airport for the crew to arrive at the desk at the gate I went up and asked about pre boarding and was told by the unorganized desk lady no in which I told her "um no I will be pre boarding" so she just said fine. So they finally called us to pre board and when I got to the plane the flight attendant was super nice and said "oh yes we were waiting for you we new about a passenger with allergies" so no problems had time to wipe down seats with travel wipes I bring with me and settle in for the flight. Flight was uneventful except for a horrible landing of which I kinda think we almost touch the wing on the ground but we lived so its all good.

Embarkation: Took a cab from airport with our 3 travelling partners and got an amazing cabbie name Rosalita we asked if she could stop somewhere so we could grab wine and pop so she did and stopped at a great grocery store for us. So we all stocked up and headed to the port. When we got to the port it was smoothest embarkation ever just we got through security and then into building walked right up to desk got our pictures taken and then basically right on to the ship which maybe took 20mins total.

Got on the ship and headed up to the Lido deck ten as we had to wait for about an hour till we could get into room. Had my first Guys burger as I knew from previous cruises that it was allergy safe for me.

So after getting settled into room I read in the documents in room that for allergies and special dining requests to head up to desk on deck 5 which was just before the coffee shop and talk to the people there. This was very convenient I went there and was able to pre-order my meal for the evening. I also found out with the help of and email to John Heald and his assistant Jacinta they arranged for us to have a table for 5 reserved at 530 in the Meridian Dining room.

The first nights Dinner we got introduced to our Dining room staff of Alex, Katarina and Mirko


And Wow what a great group of people. The were always smiling and joking around and made sure my needs as a food allergic person were met and even suggested things for me (something that did NOT happen on NCL Bliss). Alex and Katarina even gave us some tips for what beaches were good in the ports and things to do.

All the ports were great that we visited Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao and Aruba. Normally if we are exploring I take in our day pack some snack especially to the beach either some boxed safe cereals from the buffet or I pack some safe granola bars like https://madegoodfoods.com which make fantastic products.


One great thing I found was at the SEA Day Brunch and that was that since they are new brunch menus to the Horizon and the fleet they actually marked which items contained nuts and seeds and also were vegetarian.

Now I still notified my server that I was allergic but this definitely helped choosing what I was going to have for brunch. I hope this is a good sign for the future of how Carnival is going to do in the future I would be very happy.

There are so many options for food we didn't even touch on the specialty restaurants this time. We did eat at the Pig and Anchor free lunch BBQ which I spoke to one of the chefs prior about allergens and he said I was OK and it was AMAZING great BBQ. Also Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana was safe for me as well as the Pizza and of course the soft server 24/7 ice cream which is fantastic.

So once again another terrific trip on the Amazing Carnival Horizon and we will most definitely be back for another cruise on this ship.

Once again special thanks to the amazing staff with special shout outs to Alex, Katarina, Mirko, Anthony, Leo, Sari and Tyler who made the cruise amazing. And extra special thanks to John Heald for making special dinner seating arrangements for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment